Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Song Dedication #5


My friend Yehudah answered the previous trivia question correct and so I would like to dedicate this post to him. Yehudah and I are constantly trying to show each other new artists whom the other might not have heard of. In honor of this tradition, and the fact that he indeed got the question right, I’d like to dedicate a post entitled 5 new artists that you may or may not have heard of but should be listening to.

1)  Fitz and the Tantrums: For some reason these L.A. based soul-rockers have been getting a lot of press lately, even being played on the radio on channel 101.9 rxp (the rock show). However, I heard this band’s song Breaking the Chains of Love pretty early on this year. Let me tell you, there are few bands that are so fresh yet so retro sounding as this band. In terms of the aforementioned song it probably could have been released in the late 70’s or early 80’s and been a hit at that time too. Another song to listen to is Money Grabber, a song rich in soul melody.

2)  Mumford and Sons: This folk English band is probably my newest obsession. I cannot help but enjoy their upbeat, but at the same time sad, song Little Lion Man. Their song Thistle and Weeds was featured in an episode of this seasons Grey’s Anatomy. Their sound isn’t so different from many folk-rock groups out there, but the lead singer’s (Marcus Mumford) voice is raspy and interesting and it makes me want to listen to basically anything he has to sing.

3)   Marina and the Diamonds: A while ago I posted about Ellie Goulding as my new artist to watch. Marina and the Diamonds was actually #2 on BBC’s sound of 2010 right behind Ellie. I’m confused as to why her songs haven’t mainstreamed in the US yet. I guess that’s the same as Lily Allen though, but I digress. Marina is a British songstress with a fresh new sound of a voice and point of view. Like Florence and the Machine, the latter part of her name “the diamonds” belongs to her fans, and not the backing band. Her lead single Mowgli’s Road is infectious and delightful, although the video is a bit odd. I particularly like I am Not a Robot since it reminds me of classic Regina spektor or Lilly Allen. To hear her voice really shine check out Obsession. 

4)  Paper Tongues: Paper Tongues formed in 2007 but did not release their full length album until this year. They have a pretty cool sound which mixes rock with a more hip hop vibe. Their unique hip hop rock style shines on songs like Trinity. Their more alt-rock sound is the main focus of their current single Get Higher. They are sort of a cross between Kings of Leon and 2am club. 

5)  Daisy Dares You: This young British Songstress could be considered, in my mind, the British Kesha. She uses the synthesizer (moderately) but her songs are seriously pop catchy. I remember hearing Tik Tok for the first time and wondering who the hell Kesha was and how she could be so ballsy as to sing this song. That’s how I feel about Daisy’s Number One Enemy. Her cheery pop vocal styling’s shine on Rosie as well.

So Yehudah, have you heard of these artists?

No comments:

Post a Comment