Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Song Dedication #6

As many of you know I went to Barnard, an all women’s college. It was there that I met one of my best friends for life, Betsy Smith. As any Barnard girl can tell you, our college told us that we were “strong, beautiful, Barnard women.” It taught us the value of being a strong woman in today’s society, and how important it is to fight for things you believe in (most of the time relating to women’s issues, but this is a general statement). Since Betsy got the trivia question correct, and happens to be one of the strongest, most caring, compassionate, and best friends a girl could have, I decided to discuss the top ten strongest/most powerful (for different reasons) women in the music industry.

1) Madonna: Madonna single handedly changed the way we view female pop stars. Since her rise to fame in the 1980’s many performers have tried to live up to her model, and have not succeeded. Not only is she constantly trying new things (and religious beliefs), and making new interesting material for her adoring public, but she also manages to look awesome, and ageless while she does it. Favorites of hers are: Like a Prayer, Material Girl, Hung Up, 4 Minutes
2) Aretha Franklin: This list would not be complete without Aretha. Yes, I was one of those kids who belted out Respect in the car, or at home, without have the vocal chords to back it up (I did, however, have the attitude). Yet Aretha to me is such a huge presence in the industry. Her powerful gospel/soul voice is hard to match, to the point where she is even referred to as “The Queen of Soul.” Favorites of hers are: Think, Chain of Fools, Respect (the feminist anthem during the civil rights movement).
3) Missy Elliot: Ok, my mind was just blown. Trying to find out some background on Missy “misdemeanor” Elliot, I found out that she could theoretically be responsible for Timbland success! Growing up she formed a band called Swing Mob, and enlisted her friend Timbo (Timothy Mosley) at the time to be their producer. If that doesn’t make a powerful woman, I don’t know what does. Missy to me is an enigma. Not many women produce, write, and rap music, but just because many women didn’t do it, that didn’t stop her. Missy is the only female rap artist to have 5 platinum selling records, and to have some of the most bizarre, yet influential music videos known today. Favorites of hers are: Lose Control, One Minute Man, Pass That Dutch
4) Lauryn Hill: Many of you know for my intense love for Lauryn Hill due to my persistent pleas for her to make a comeback. As a kid the only thing I knew about Lauryn was that she was in Sister Act 2. Now I can appreciate her for being one of the most unique female artists of the decade. Not only is she a product of New Jersey (represent!) but she is also went from being the prominent member of The Fugees, to being an excellent, much sought after solo artist and actress. Favorites of hers are Doo Wop (that thing), Ex Factor, Killing Me Softly, Cant Take My Eyes Off of You.
5) Billy Holiday: Billy Holiday singlehandedly changed the face of Jazz music forever (according to critic John Bush). In an era when female singers were wholesome and pure, Billie brought a level of sexuality to her singing by just singing with soul, and reinterpreting tempos. Favorites of hers are: God Bless The Child, Strange Fruit, Good Morning Heartache
6) Lady Gaga: Stephanie Germanotta has pushed her way into the hearts and heads of millions. I’m not sure how she did it considering she was a short, unattractive, Italian girl from NY but she is right now the most recognizable international superstar. Her crazy outfits cannot detract from her awe-inspiring talent. In fact they even add to her allure. Her voice is big, her personality is even bigger, and being named on the Forbes most powerful women list doesn’t hurt either. Favorites of hers are: Speechless, Telephone, Paparazzi, Fame
7) Janis Joplin: Janis Joplin is an unconventionally great singer. Her raspy voice shouldn’t really have been mainstreamed, but for the free loving 60’s it was perfect. She had raw emotion come through every note that she sang which was extremely impressive considering she was hopped up on whatever psychedelic drug she could handle. Yet she is the model for all angry, hippie, indie music women today. Favorites are Me and Bobby McGee, Mercedes Benz
8) Nina Simone: Nina is on this list, not only because she came out with some awesome easily recognizable hits (like I Put a Spell on You featured in the Disney movie Hocus Pocus!) but also because of her unique androgynous voice, and her ability to lend that voice to multiple genres of music. She was known as “The High Priestess of Soul,” (the second woman on my top ten with a nickname). She was able to express emotion just through the tone of her voice, and used her Bipolar disorder to her advantage in her music. Favorites of hers are: I Put a Spell on You, Feelin Good, My Baby Just Cares For Me
9) Christina Aguilera: One might ask why I put Xtina on this list as opposed to Brittney. The answer is clear; she is a far superior singer. The first time I heard her voice I was actually really impressed. In a world of voice boxes and auto tuners it is rare to find such an unmistakable talent in a person. Her early hits were sexually charged, but her more recent hits have been subtle and interesting. She has matured from the Mickey Mouse Club to Stripped days to her new album Bionic, for which I applaud her.  Favorites of hers are Genie in a Bottle, You Lost Me, Fighter, Aint No Other Man 
10) Beyonce/Mariah Carey: This is a toss up for me, I know Betsy loves both of these women and it’s hard for me to choose. I love Beyonce because not only was she the main star of Destiny’s Child, but I seriously love all of her solo hits. Mariah is a different story.  There have been some hits and misses for me in her repertoire, but her range is undeniable and her pipes are incredibly impressive. Both of these women have a hip-hop/pop background and really excel among some less interesting talent. Favorites of Beyonce: Single Ladies, Bills Bills Bills, Bootylicious, Halo, Favorites of Mariah: Heartbreaker, Always Be My Baby, Fantasy, Obsessed

1 comment:

  1. Awesome list! I can't tell you how many times I got chills thinking about those incredible songs. Great choices, and thanks for the dedication!

    ReplyDelete