Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Favorite music videos of 2010

So as 2010 comes to a close I would like to do a series of posts on the tops of 2010. As such here are my top 8 music videos of 2010.

1) OKGO-
White Knuckles: While most people would choose the inventive Rub Goldberg Machine video that is This Too Shall Pass, I chose the underrated White Knuckles. Yes I am a sucker for performing dogs, and in my own naive mind I believe they are all treated well, and are not slave dogs. So this video was great because it is like watching any random animal show at a theme park. It has dogs doing great and funny things.

2) Black Keys- Tighten up- I am a sucker for a video where kids lip dub adult voices. This one is particularly amusing because of the opening scene where the child describes not wanting to hang out with a boy because “he smells like ranch dressing”, and then proceeds to serenade a pretty girl in the playground. It’s also a really great bluesy-rock song in general. It gets a little wacky when the children start fighting with each other and then beat up the adults who try to break up their fight, but I still like it for its humor early on. 
3) Lady Gaga and Beyonce- Telephone: This video is so balls out crazy that it had to be included. I like it a lot more than I like the militaristic video for Alejandro. I love the vibrant colors, crazy outfits (see smoking cigarette glasses), and ridiculous idea for this Thelma and Louise-ish video. Plus this song is probably one of my favorites from the entire year.

4)Cee Lo- F*** You – As I said about the black keys, I do love when a child lip-dubs for an adult and the same happens in f-you. I love the evolution and maturity that happens within the diner as Cee Lo grows up and watches the girl he loves have no interest in him and then become a custodian. Sweet vengeance.  


5) Kanye West- Power: Oh Kanye. Your delusional idea that you are the king of everything and cocky attitude makes this video as amazing as it is. Defying all logic for a music video and clocking in at only 1:43 seconds, (unprecedented for a song that is over 4 minutes long) this intense video should not be missed. As Kanye Tweeted: This isn’t a music video. It is a moving painting.


6) Janelle Monae- Tightrope: Janelle Monae is a kook. I happy to think her videos are always interesting, but the reason I chose this for my list is because she is an incredible dancer. The entire video there is people doing the “tightrope dance” inside of an asylum. In fact this video won a MTV VMA for choreography (as it should have). (Sorry I cannot put the video in here. Click Tightrope to watch).

7) Hollerado- Americanarama: This video is crazy inventive in the same vein as OKGO. If you watch it many times in a row you can really pick up new and interesting things. In the video you see an enormous square made up of a bunch of tiny squares that have a person in them. They control these enormous cards and themes that take place throughout the video. It is hard to explain, but super cool to watch.
8) Katy Perry- California gurls:  Personal feelings about the connection to the song aside, this video is plain entertaining. It takes place in a fictional candy land where gummy bears give you the finger and whipped cream sprays out of your chest. Oh and did I mention Snoop Dogg is the “God-like” figure in this video. Who wouldn’t want to be part of that world? 

Did I miss your favorite? Post about it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment