Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Song Dedication # 7

I had the good fortune to meet one of my good friends Elisheva while abroad for the year. While away from home Elisheva and I bonded on our favorite type of “chillax” songs.  The point of “chillax” songs in our view was to make a bad situation better, or calm us down in the most stressed out of times. One could also refer to this type of music as “Mellow Tunes.” Presently, Elisheva is one of those people who I can always talk to when stressed, and always says the right things to put me in a better mood. Below is a list of songs that are all excellent chill music, and ones I would be proud to share with Elisheva on our ghetto cd players of 6 years ago.

  1. Counting Crows- Colorblind­- The reason this is the first on my list is because, at the time, this was Elisheva’s ultimate chill song. Reminiscent of the scene in Cruel Intentions, this song by the Counting Crows is the height of mellow.
  2. Ducan Sheik- Out of Order- This song was my favorite chill song at that point in time, although it has been usurped by the number 3 song on this list. I happen to love Duncan’s sweet voice, and think he works best with slow soft melodies as opposed to the more “rock”- like numbers.
  3. Coldplay- Strawberry Swing- At this point in time there is no better mellow tune for me. When I am in a bad mood I know that I can turn on this song and I will feel instantly better. If I am stressed my go to band is Coldplay because of the interesting melodies in their songs as well as Chris Martin’s excellent voice.
  4. Guster- I Spy- While this song is one of the shorter ones in the list, it is still 100% mellow. It is also one of the more sad tunes listed here. Yet Guster’s use of bongos really adds to the cafĂ©-like mellowness of the song.
  5.  Death Cab For Cutie- A Lack of Color- This is my second all time favorite Death Cab song. When I write a post about sad songs this will be pretty high on the list. Not all of my mellow songs have to be sad but this one is definitely a downer which is easy on the ears.
  6. One Republic- Good Life- A newer addition to my top ten mellow songs, Good Life is a happy, silly mellow tune. The use of whistling in the song makes it unique and more fun than the average mellow tune.
  7. Wallflowers- I Started a Joke- Yes, I know this is a cover and technically shouldn’t be counted (and also not the only cover in my list, see #8), but you have to love Jakob Dylan’s version of this song. Not only, in my opinion, is his voice better than his fathers, but J-Dyl’s interesting slow interpretation of the BeeGees hit is great.
  8. Matt Pond PA- Chapagne Supernova- This is the second cover on my list, and if possible, an even more mellowed out version than the Oasis original. Matt Pond was brought on to make this for the OC (cover album) and I am so glad he did.
  9. Maroon 5- Back at Your Door- I think this is probably my favorite Maroon 5 song which they conveniently never play at concerts. Unfortunately, most people would put She Will Be Loved or something on their mellow list, but this song is beautiful and mellow at the same time. It is a true love song to be proud of.
  10. Coldplay-Swallowed in the Sea- I know, I know, I already have a Coldplay song on the top ten, but this song has to go on it as well! It is so light and frothy, that it had to make an appearance here. Swallowed in the Sea was actually the first Coldplay song I ever heard and I am really thankful for it because it made me see the light.
What are your favorite Chill songs?

1 comment: