Thursday, August 12, 2010

Artist Watch: Ellie Goulding

Ellie is a 23 year old British song-writer whose debut album “Lights” came out March 2010. I stumbled across Ellie’s music while perusing VEVO’s videos, and honestly I was impressed. She describes her sound as “folktronic,” two sounds I never thought would go together. Ellie’s first single Under the Sheets is the most synthesized of all the singles she has released singles to-date. The song’s vibe reminds me of what Avril Lavigne would sound like if she took a trip into the clubbing scene. Her single Starry Eyed reminded me of something I would have heard from another British songstress- Little Boots. The song Guns and Horses is my favorite that has been released. It features just the right amount of electronica to make me want to tap my toes, but doesn’t over power you like many pop-electronic artists. It also has a really strong folk sound, much like her most recent single The Writer. It is slow, and beautiful, and reminds me a lot of Kate Nash. Ellie Goulding’s music is perfect for fans of Annie, Florence and the Machine, and Kate Nash.

No comments:

Post a Comment