Thursday, December 23, 2010

Holiday Songs

Have you ever noticed how many Christmas songs are played on the radio starting the day after thanksgiving? Every time one of these songs come on the radio I cringe and change the channel only to find my self stuck with an additionally cringe worthy holiday appropriate song. Unfortunately for me the radio stations do not play the few songs that I like, at least, not often enough. So let me share them with you all, with succinct explanations as to why these are present on my list.

Bearable Christmas Songs:

  1. (Frank Loesser/ Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer) Baby its Cold Outside: As you know from my Classic Post, I love this duet, which in all actuality is quite scandalous.
  2. Let it Snow (Michael Buble Version) - Many of you know I hate snow, but I do like being inside, which is clearly what this song is about. Maybe it’s even about missing a day of work because the buses don’t run to NYC. Who knows?
  3. Last Christmas (Jimmy Eat World Edition): I chose this and not the wham version purely because I prefer punk rock to soft pop rock.
  4. (Nat King Cole/Torme and Wells) Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire: as if any other would make it onto this list. Nat’s voice is like butter (see my classic post) and I love chestnuts!
  5. (Bing Crosby/Irving Berlin) White Christmas: I am a sucker for this holiday movie, so that is why there is an appearance on my list.
  6. (Run DMC)Christmas in Hollis/ (Kanye West) Christmas in Harlem: The original Run DMC version is freaking hilarious, and the Kanye West updated version is inspired.
  7. (Geisel/Hague/and Ravenscroft)Mr. Grinch: I consider myself to be a Grinch, except my heart never grows to thrice its size during the Christmas season, and if it did, I would probably have to be treated for some insane cardiac condition.

Additionally I have to list the most obnoxiously offensive Christmas songs out there.
Here is my list of unbearable Christmas songs

  1. (Jose Feliciano)Feliz Navidad: I would seriously like to punch the creator of this abomination. Seriously no song, EVER, has been more annoying.
  2. (Randy Brooks)Grandma got run over by a reindeer: Although this song is almost as annoying as Feliz Navidad, it is probably more overplayed. And seriously, I don’t think it’s funny that a defenseless old woman gets run over. That is a felony santa.
  3. (Allen/Saltzberg/and Monte)Dominick the Donkey: Darn you z100 for constantly playing this horrible song and ruining my high school morning wake ups with your incessant donkey noises.
  4. (Pola and Wyle performed by Andy Williams)It’s the most wonderful time of the year: It most certainly isn’t. I would say the most wonderful time of the year is when all of the flowers and trees begin to bloom, or possibly my birthday.
  5. Jingle Bell Rock/ Santa Claus is coming to Town: Toss up for number 5 on which song I dislike more. They are both equal in annoyance and also unfortunately sang by good rock bands (Bill Haley and the comets, and Bruce Springstein and the E street band respectively).
  6. We Wish You a Merry Christmas: One of two carols on the list, this song is here because of the amount it is used in commercials. Luckily I have a dvr which is especially useful during this season.
  7. Up on the house top- (Jackson 5 version) I usually love the Jackson 5 but this song is so grating that I cannot even bare to listen to it for more than 10 seconds.
  8. 12 days of Christmas: Not only is it incredibly hard for me to actually understand why in the world anyone would want a partridge in a pear tree from their true love, but it is also just annoying that they have to repeat each thing that they get. 

What Christmas songs do you like? And which are uncomfortably obnoxious to your ears?

1 comment:

  1. I HATE "Santa Baby" for no logical reason. Maybe I just don't like the idea of some woman trying to seduce Santa...

    ReplyDelete