Thursday, July 29, 2010

Classic!

Yesterday I had a strong urge to listen to the song Moon River popularized by the film Breakfast at Tiffany's. I’m not sure what brought on the urge, although I feel as if it were playing on a TV show that I had seen recently, and then it made its way to the forefront of my brain and screamed out for me to listen to it again. One thing I love about classics is how easy these songs were. First of all, there was no cussing, no real talk about sex (innuendo aside) and just pure beautiful melodies that stay classic forever.

My favorite classic singer is Frank Sinatra. Frankie had a long career, but my favorite songs of his are those he sang when he was baby-faced and bright eyed and just getting into the biz. It’s really hard for me to choose one favorite, so indulge me while I discuss my two favorite Frankie songs. The first is I’ve Got a Crush on You. When I first heard this song, and Frankie’s smooth as honey voice, I melted just a little bit. I totally understood the screaming and crazy fans, because I most likely would have been all over that. His voice is so beyond amazing in this song that it’s so easy to forget that he isn’t the best looking guy in town, and more or less would be someone you would pass up at first glance.  My second favorite Frank Sinatra song is I Wont Dance. You can ask my freshman year roommate (Jenn) how many times I listened to that while studying. It was ridiculous. I don’t know what it is about this song specifically. The words are silly- “For Heaven Rest Us, I’m not Asbestos,” but the song is still great. It makes me want to dance, and sway to the soft ballroom melody.

The 30’s was the time of Irving Berlin and George Gershwin, so I had to mention them in my classics list. My Berlin favorite is Cheek to Cheek (Heaven). I had heard this song and known it throughout my childhood. One of my favorite memories of this song is watching Danny Kaye dance with Miss Piggy while they sing and dance to the song on the Muppet Show. It wasn’t until I saw the movie Top Hat that I really understood what this song was about. Top Hat is a Fred (Astaire) and Ginger (Rogers) movie, set in the 30’s, and features art deco in all its glory. The pair dance cheek to cheek as Fred sings. Now Fred doesn’t really have a great voice. It is pleasant but not great by any standards, yet his voice rings true on this song. My favorite Gershwin song is They Cant Take That Away From Me which again was popularized in another Fred and Ginger movie Shall We Dance. You see here how Fred doesn’t need dancing to win over his lady love. Instead this song moves Ginger to tears, as it should.

Now, I can’t talk about the classics without mentioning Cab Calloway. His song Minnie the Moocher is my favorite scat song. Forget about the lyrics of the song for one moment (I mean what does he mean by hoochie coocher?), Cab is able to take the end of this song and turn it into an amazing scat-riff. As you all know, I love The Blues Brothers and Cab performs this song in the movie to amazing results, so much that the Blues Brothers aren’t really sure how to follow up such an amazing performer.

One of my favorite classics is Baby Its Cold Outside. This winter classic is a great duet that has been made and remade many many times. My favorite version of the song is sung by Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer who recorded this song for the film Neptune’s Daughter. This is one of those songs where you are curious about sexual innuendo. In no way is it spelled out, but the woman character wants to leave, and the man character definitely wants her to stay. For what? We can never be sure. It is still an amazing song that has the ability to transport you to an earlier time, like all classics should.

The last song that I would like to discuss is Unforgettable by Nat King Cole. I had thought about using this song in my wedding procession, that is how beautiful and wonderful this song is. Initially the ultimate sweet as honey voice went to Frank Sinatra, then I heard Nat sing this song and that all changed. He has the ability to make every person feel as if they are unforgettable. It is so beautifully melodic and well sang that I am hard-pressed to find anyone who feels differently about this song. Even the most oldies-haters have to like it because of its sheer simple beauty.

What are your favorite classics?

No comments:

Post a Comment