Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ten Artists I'm Thankful For

Every year on/around Thanksgiving I plan on writing a post to artists/or musicians that I am thankful for. This year I am going to write a list of current artists who I am thankful for. Check it out:

1) Lady Gaga: Why I’m Thankful: Lady Gaga is brilliant. Not only is she an incredible singer, but she is also a ridiculous entertainer. I’m not sure how many of my conversations begin with, “did you see Lady Gaga’s crazy outfit last night?,” but I can tell you that is the mark of an interesting artist. Gaga turned electro-dance into mainstream pop and made it cool and accessible (which is different from the idiotic dance pop numbers Cascada). Because of this her new album Born This Way will surely be one of the best, if not the best album to be released in 2011.
2) Timbaland: Why I’m Thankful: Timbo is my favorite music producer. Not only can he take a track that is already awesome and make it ten times more awesome, but he is probably one of the smartest people in the industry right now. I remember when SexyBack came out and at first listen I really didn’t like it. Shocking, I know, considering not only is it one of my favorite JT songs now but it is also my ringtone for my husband. Once I heard it a second time, and a third, I realized how brilliant it actually was. Timbo’s success continued on with hits like The Way I Are and Apologize and basically anything he touches to me is pure music gold (see Carry Out and Marchin On).
3) Kanye West: Why I’m Thankful: Kanye West has been mostly off the radar since his mess up with Taylor Swift. As you know Taylor is not going to appear on my list of artists to be thankful for, however, what Kanye did was not excusable. Yet, I stood by him through it all because in all fairness he was thinking what majority of the country was thinking (sorry Taylor fans but Single Ladies was WAY better than You Belong With Me). Meanwhile Kanye has come back with a vengeance on his new album Dark Twisted Fantasy. The only negative I can come up with is that it uses a derogatory word for women way to often including when it is unnecessary.  Yet the rest of the album is actually amazing, his rhymes can’t be beat and his hooks on the tracks really make you want to jump up and down with excitement (see All the Lights).
4) Phoenix: Why I’m Thankful: These French Alt-Rock imports add an entirely new level of “interesting” to the American music scenes. One cannot find a replica of the cool Lisztomania or 1901 in the US. Basically every song off of their album Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix is quirky and out of the ordinary. 
5) Maroon 5: Why I’m Thankful: 1) Adam Levine- he is just so nice to look at and listen to. 2) Because they actually make really fun pop music which always gets me excited (see Give A Little More and Never Gonna Leave this Bed) 3) Because they are so amazing live. As you know from my earlier post, their concerts never cease to amaze me. Many performers seem to suck when they perform live and without the comfort of a studio recording. Yet Adam and the rest of the band have no trouble whatsoever and therefore make the concert more exciting for the audience.
6) Florence and the Machine: Why I’m Thankful: Aside from the incredibly catchy indie rock tunes this band produces (see Dog Days are Over or Kiss with a Fist), I am thankful for Florence Welch’s unique voice. Her set of pipes is so distinctive that you could pick it out in a dark room. This makes her already awesome songs even more recognizable and remarkable.
7) Eminem: Why I’m Thankful: Eminem was sorely missed by everyone. When he bounded back on the rap/music scene this past year with his new album Recovery everyone was expecting something great. He did not disappoint. His speedy rhymes continue to amaze me. I always laugh and think about how each line and carefully phrased quote is so clever. He also has great timing and chooses excellent guest stars for the hooks on his songs.
8) Vampire Weekend: Why I’m Thankful: Not only did VW form at Columbia (my alma mater) but they are also so trendy! Every time I hear their songs I think, a hipster just gained their oversized glasses. Their use of non conventional instruments and their delightful melodies (see Ottoman and Holiday) make this indie band a must. 
9) Nicki Minaj: Why I’m Thankful: I was skeptical of Nicki at first, but her talent has grown on me by leaps and bounds. Not only is she one of the most requested contributors to songs these days but she is just so darn oddball that you can’t help but like her. There is something about the way she rhymes and raps that reminds me of classic female rappers like Lauren Hill and Missy Elliot. She definitely adds something to the music scene that hasn’t been around for a while- a really good female rap artist.
10) The Scissor Sisters: Why I’m Thankful: The Scissor Sisters are so crazy and outlandish that they can only be compared to the many disco and glam artists that came before them. Every song is silly and full of fun. Additionally, they are on tour with Lady Gaga and I can’t really see a better match for tour mates. Their awesomeness shines on songs like Take Your Mama Out and I Don’t Feel Like Dancing.

What artists are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment