Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Song Dedication #4

So originally, when I thought of the concept of a post dedication I tried to come up with funny songs for my friends/ family if they ever answered the trivia question of the week. When It came to my sister Aliza (todays lucky winner), I thought, “ok I want to do Legs by ZZ Top”. However, I’ve run into a frequent problem where all the songs that I think are funny are almost always inappropriate or can be construed in the wrong way. So instead I decided that I was going to write a post of my top ten 80’s songs for my sister, who really showed me the awesomeness of 80’s tunes and how 80’s music really influenced many of today’s popular artists.

1) Thriller by Michael Jackson: Michael Jackson in a lot of ways defined what 80’s music was about. With hits like Billie Jean, Beat It, or basically anything off the Thriller album Michael was the king (of pop).

2) I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls: Oh Flock of Seagulls, how I love your crazy hair and your awesome tunes. I Ran is one of those songs that is easily recognizable as the 80’s. It uses the right amount of synthesizer and is just the right amount of British new wave to make this song an instant 80’s classic. 

3) Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles: I chose this song not only because I find it to be super catchy, but also because it was the first music video ever shown on MTV. That alone cements its status as one of the greatest/most iconic 80’s songs ever created.

4) Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners: I love this song for so many reasons. First of all it is probably one of the best one-hit-wonders ever. Secondly it is interesting because the band employs the use of frequent tempo changes within the song (especially during the bridge section) and it is therefore atypical.

5) Notorious/Rio by Duran Duran: I  knew in a post dedicated to my sister that I had to choose a song by Duran Duran one of her favorite 80’s bands. However, I couldn’t decide between Notorious and Rio. They are both so interesting and different from each other that I had to lump them in the same number. To me a song is good when I could listen to it at a totally irrelevant time and find it exciting, and that’s what these songs did for me.

6) Roxanne by the Police:  The Police combined Reggae with pop in a beautiful marriage and created this excellent gem based on a prostitute they had seen on the streets of France. Sometimes when I think about the Police I cant help but start singing this song to myself and/or alternatively yelling out “Put on the red light”

7) Africa by Toto: I would be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t like this song. Not only are its harmonies complex, but the layering of music is also really interesting and complicated.

8) When Doves Cry by Prince: Prince was one of those artists you didn’t see coming. He was off the beaten path in his coolness. I mean who else could then call themselves “The Artist Formerly Known As Prince” or TAFKAP? Technically, he started the trend of constantly changing your name. Maybe one of these days Diddy will call himself TAFKAPD (pd stands for puff daddy).

9) Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi: This was named #1 on VH1’s greatest hits of the 80’s. This Bon Jovi song is the epitome of 80’s rock. Not only are the lyrics instantly recognizable, but the theme of the song lends itself to the hardship of the times. When Bon Jovi was good, he was great.

10) Borderline by Madonna: Many people might choose a different Madonna song like Material Girl or Like a Virgin but I choose borderline since it was the first Madonna song I had ever heard. Madonna, like MJ, had changed the face of pop music for the time and continued to leave an ever lasting impression in her wake.

Notable mentions:
1) Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham
2) Tempted by Squeeze
3) White Wedding by Billy Idol
4) Whip It by Devo
5) Private Eyes by Hall and Oates
6) You Got It (The Right Stuff) by New Kids on the Block

No comments:

Post a Comment