Thursday, September 2, 2010

TV’s Top Ten Theme Songs

With the new highly anticipated TV season fast approaching I wanted to write a TV-Music focused post. During the fall I plan to dissect episodes that use current music (and music supervisors) and express my opinions on the usage of those songs, but until then let me focus on one of the most important parts of the television show: The theme song. Many LOST lovers will argue that one doesn’t need a theme song to set the tone of the show. But the mere fact that LOST had random floating white lost letters in a black abyss plus eerie music makes me believe my point. What would have happened if LOST decided to use let’s say….Weezer’s Island in the Sun for their theme song? Wouldn’t you have expected a fun and relaxed show about people hanging out on an Island instead of the terror of being alone and in a place you don’t understand? So without further adieu here are my top ten themes:

  1. Charmed: How Soon is Now cover by Love Spit Love original by The Smiths: It was obvious that I had to choose this song that was an original smith’s song. Not only did the lyrics fit perfectly, but the theme song sets the tone for something weird and awesome. I know it’s kind of a cop-out considering this cover of the Smiths song was commissioned for the movie The Craft (yet another medium about witches) but I still can’t help but love Charmed and their amazing theme.
  2. The O.C.: California by Phantom Planet: Ohh C. how I loved you, season one. Yes I was one of those screaming giggling girls who couldn’t wait for Josh Schwartz’s show to come on every week. This song definitely made that possible. Not only was it the theme, but it was shown in its entirety during the Pilot episode setting the tone for the entire season. California, here we come.
  3. Veronica Mars: We Used to Be Friends by the Dandy Warhols: If any of you have spoken to me lately you know of my obsession with Veronica Mars. This theme song worked perfectly for season 1. Veronica was an outsider in her school and with her popular former friends. Yet, this song has such a kick-ass attitude that you can completely understand Veronica’s mind frame. Yeah we used to be friends? So what? She doesn’t need them.
  4. The Fresh Prince of Bel- Air: The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air by Will Prince and Quincy Jones: This is one of the few theme songs on this list that was actually written specifically for the show in question, yet its brilliance remains unquestioned. I would dare say that if you ask any person from my generation (with cable) to name all the lyrics to the theme song they would be able to in about 3 seconds. Not only was Will super cool at the time but he was also “fresh” and interesting.
  5. Sesame Street: Sesame Street by Joe Raposo: If you have ever heard my mom talk about Sesame Street you will know how much it stinks since Raposo’s death. Yet this theme song remains a classic and integral part of each episode on “The Street.”
  6. Smallville: Save Me by Remy Zero: Smallville was one of the first shows where I really appreciated the value of the soundtrack. In fact, this show can be credited for most of my music repertoire while it was on for the mere fact that I wanted to listen to the songs from the episodes in their entirety. The theme song is no exception. It is poignant in the fact that Clark Kent does in fact save everyone on the show, but it is also moving in the way the images and sights interact with the sound.
  7. Dawson’s Creek: I Don’t Want To Wait by Paula Cole: Every time I hear this song on the radio nowadays I always pump up the volume. I did love Dawson’s creek (at least seasons one and two) and definitely identified with the idea that everything must happen when you are a teenager because that is the first time you feel as if you are really living for yourself.
  8. Baywatch: I’m Always Here by Jimi Jamison of Survivor: From what I understand this show had 3 theme songs, but this one is the most present in my mind. Forget for a minute the fact that majority of the intro is slow motion women in bathing suits/men in speedos and all you hear is something awesome that you want to rock out to. In fact many people who have played taboo with me know that I break into this song whenever the clue “lifeguard” comes up.
  9. The Golden Girls: Thank You For Being a Friend cover by Cynthia Fee original by Andrew Gold: What song could better fit this ridiculously awesome TV series? It sets the tone for the show in the sense that you know these people are different but that they will always be there for each other no matter what. Which Golden Girl are you? 
  10. Cheers: Where Everybody Knows Your Name by Gary Portnoy and Judy Hart Angelo: This is a definite must for the top 10 list. I am sure that even if you haven’t seen the show Cheers you still can identify its theme song. When you go to a bar you really want to get the homey feeling and warm atmosphere that cheers provided- a place where everybody knew your name and what you liked to drink.
What are your favorite TV themes?

2 comments:

  1. "Come on knock on my door! Take a step that is new! Where the kisses are hers, and hers, and his, three's company, too!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like that one a lot... i also like " Step by Step, day by day" and "Charles in Charge"

    ReplyDelete