Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Album Review: Hands All Over by Maroon 5

As many of you know I have been extremely excited for Maroon 5’s newest release. When I went to their concert I was treated to some of their newer material and it did not disappoint. It was only natural that I was going to pre-order the deluxe edition of the album on Itunes (thanks to all my friends who got me gift cards for my birthday which made this possible). While I do really like the cd as a whole, a few of the songs aren’t my favorites. Let me give you a run down of the album and the best tracks. The first song on the album is Misery which I’m sure you have all heard on the radio over the summer. The second track is one of my favorites called Give A Little More. I’m pretty positive they played this at the concert, and it has a super retro vibe which I love. It sounds almost like it could be off of one of the Bee Gees old albums or belong in the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. The third song called Stutter is pretty similar to Maroon 5’s older material. It is reminiscent of the songs Tangled and The Sun off of their first album Songs About Jane. The fourth song off of the album is called Don’t Know Nothing and is probably one of my least favorite songs off of the entire album. It has a very odd opening, which sounds Moroccan influenced. Number five is called Never Gonna Leave This Bed, and it is definitely one of my favorites. It is sweet and slow and really showcases Adam Levine’s talent. Number six I Can’t Lie reminds me of something that I really can’t pinpoint. It is definitely similar to their song Sunday Morning. The title track Hands All Over is number seven on the album. It is interesting, and darker like some of their songs from their previous album It Wont Be Soon Before Long. Again, this track isn’t as good to me as many of the others. Track eight is called How and is another slow but beautiful song. Track nine is called Get Back in My Life and is also heavily inspired by retro sounds. It is pretty 70’s in sound and definitely interesting to listen to. Track ten is called Just a Feeling. It is another slow song and is more repetitive than most of their slow songs. I’m not in love with it, but it definitely jives with the other songs on the album. Track eleven is called Runaway and is pretty decent. It is faster paced and doesn’t have the most interesting melody, but I still like it a lot. Track twelve is called Out of Goodbyes and features Lady Antebellum. I have to say that this is my least favorite track off the album and even hearing it the first time I felt the urge the fast forward it immediately. It was pretty boring, and not interesting to me at all. Track thirteen is called Last Chance which reminds me of Little of Your Time and Kiwi from their previous album It Wont Be Soon Before Long. The final (non bonus) track is called No Curtain Call. It is a little slower and has a real Moulin Rouge-y vibe to it. It reminds me of the film’s version of the song The Show Must Go On (originally by Queen) mostly because of the “curtain call” theme. Over all I like the album a lot, and the deluxe addition has a bunch of additional acoustic tracks, and the live version of If I Aint Got You. Give the album a listen and let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment