Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My Ultimate Guilty Pleasure Songs

Everyone has guilty pleasure songs. You know the ones I’m talking about; they are so bad/ cheesy/ silly that they are good and inevitably get you excited whenever you hear them. Here is my list of ultimate guilty pleasure songs.

1) Meatloaf’s Paradise by the Dashboard Light- yes, this was the song my guidance counselor (sister) played when discussing sex-education. However one cannot help but love this song. It is crazy and has a random baseball –foreplay interlude. Meatloaf’s voice is beyond awesome and it soars as he promises his girl that “he’ll love her til the end of time.” 

2) U2’s Pride (In the name of Love)- This song is on my list because in high school a boy made me a mix tape and put this song on it. When this song came on, he immediately said…ohh… how’d this get here? And then he skipped it. Definition of a guilty pleasure- one that others would possibly make fun of or mock you for liking much like I did when he skipped this awesome song.

3) Ace of Base’s All That She Wants- I would assume that many would put The Sign in this category, since almost every Ace of Base song could be considered “guilty pleasure.” Yet, this one is my favorite because of its slow tempo and reggae sounds.

4) Melanie’s Brand New Key- I can’t help but bob my head to this super odd song by Melanie. Why exactly is she talking about bicycles and keys? I can’t really be sure but I know that I happen to enjoy the beat of the song and the lilting melodies that Melanie produces.

5) Brittney Spears’ Toxic – So many songs by Brittney could be on this list, but Toxic is the first song that really jumps out as a guilty pleasure. It is lacking in vocal talent but more than makes up for it in catchiness. I can’t really understand majority of the lyrics but nonetheless would rock out to this in any club.

6) Styx’s Mr. Roboto-   Oh Styx, what can I say about this completely ridiculous and campy song? Not only does it make me do the robot every time I hear it, but it just makes me laugh. It is so strange, and can barely even be called a normal “hit.” The only thing I can say is “Thank You, Thank You.”

7)  R Kelly’s Ignition (Remix)- You would all most definitely make fun of me for knowing EVERY word of this song. It is dirty and ridiculous, but I still love it. It is so beyond catchy that it took me maybe 3 times on repeat to get every word. It is an instant guilty pleasure classic.

8) Spin Doctors’ Two Princes-  I’m not really sure what this is a story of, or whether its actually about princes, but I thoroughly enjoy it. It’s even one of my all time favorite Taboo clues (word is spin doctors, and I always say- they sing two princes! Because what else do they sing?)

9) Stacie Orrico’s Stuck I was recently informed by my good friend Jenn that Stacie Orrico is a hardcore religious singer. Yet this song is still a great religious-pop crossover. I may actually be stuck on this song. Like Stacie says “I hate you but I love you, I can’t stop thinking of you….”

10) NSYNC’s I Drive Myself Crazy-  It was hard for me to choose between this song and It Makes Me Ill,  but ultimately I had to choose I drive myself crazy. I probably listened to this terrible song like 300 times when it first came out as I harbored my crush on Lance Bass. It happens to be a great song vocally for JC, but an only ok song that I am irrationally in love with.

11) Five’s When The Lights Go Out- the album 5ive was one of the first albums I had ever purchased. The novelty of the fact the bands album was called five-ive was not lost on me even at that age. That should tell you something about the quality of songs from the band which was produced by the same team as the spice girls. This song is fun, and wild, and whenever I hear it I definitely jam out.

12) Chumbawumba’s Tubthumping- this song has absolutely no substance, but I can’t help but jump every time I hear it. It is even an anthem for the recession (getting knocked down, getting back up again). My favorite part of this song, that without fail I always scream out to, is at the end when all the parts come together at the exact time almost like a round.

Do you agree with my guilty pleasures? What are yours?

3 comments:

  1. i agree with "all that she wants", "ignition" - which i love working out to:), & "two princes" - i could listen over and over to that song! Nickleback also goes on my list for guilty pleasures...but i dont usually admit that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song "What I've Been Looking For" from High School Musical. I'll understand if you have now lost all respect for me.

    Eitan's is "Promiscuous Girl."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adina- I have not lost any respect for you. I could have probably added 12 disney songs to the list. Nice one with Nickleback Ally!- any particulars?

    ReplyDelete