Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It was the soundtrack of my summer...

Anyone who knows me knows how important soundtracks are to me. If I could, with my life, I would work on compiling soundtracks and could only dream of having the opportunity to add songs to movies and television.  Soundtracks are incredibly important because music can greatly affect the way a scene or mood is viewed, and if a completely inappropriate song is placed in the wrong context the result is often comical or strange. As one of my most anticipated movies is being released this week (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) and its soundtrack is up for free listening on AOL listening party I wanted to discuss some of my all time favorite soundtracks.

1)  The Graduate- Simon and Garfunkel- One cannot speak of soundtracks without mentioning this Simon and Garfunkel vehicle. I have to admit, I hate this movie, and the only redeeming thing for me is S &G’s soundtrack. Favorites include: Mrs Robinson(obv) and The Sound of Silence brilliantly used in the final scene of the movie. 

2)  Almost Famous- Various Artists- Unlike The Graduate this is a movie I happen to really enjoy. The idea of traveling on the road with a band has its allure to me.  This soundtrack filled with early 70’s period music seriously rocks. Favorites off the album include the classic Tiny Dancer by Elton John and I’ve Seen All Good People (Your Move) by Yes.


3)  The Blues Brothers- Various Artists- Yes, I know, I’ve spoken about this movie too often. But in terms of soundtrack this movie cannot be beat. It excellently features amazing R&B artists. Favorites include: Aretha Franklin’s Think, James Brown’s gospel classic Old Landmark, and of course Ray Charles’ Shake Your Tail feather.

4)  The Wedding Singer- Various Artists- I LOVE this movie. I know every line, and honestly believe that the music supervisor did an amazing job choosing 80’s classics for this film. Of course I also love the Adam Sandler originals (Somebody Kill Me and Grow Old with You). Favorites from the album are Culture Club’s Do You Really Want To Hurt Me and Billy Idol’s White Wedding. Also not present in the soundtrack but in the forefront of the film, You Make My Dreams by Hall and Oats and Dead or Alive’s You Spin Me Right Round. 

5)  500 Days of Summer- Various Artists- Not only was this one of my favorite movies to come out in the last ten years but it also has an amazing soundtrack. The fact that it uses Hall and Oats You Make My Dreams in a cartoon love like sequence was beyond amazing in and of itself. Favorites from the album include Regina Spektor’s Us, The Temper Trap’s Sweet Disposition, and The Smiths’ There is a Light That Never Goes Out.

6)  Once- Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova- Anyone who hasn’t seen Once must go out and watch it right now. The music IS the entire point of this movie about two strangers who make an album together.  I loved Falling Slowly so much that my bridesmaids walked down to it at my wedding. Favorites include The Hill and Once. 

7)  Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist- Various Artists- This happened to be another album that came out during my internship at WMG. The songs are all Warner-labeled and the songs are indie-fabulous. Favorites include Vampire Weekend’s Ottoman and We Are Scientists’ After Hours

8)  Away We Go- Various Artists- This Alexi Murdoch driven vehicle is actually the driving force behind the entire film. As John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph make there way across the country trying to find the perfect place to live, Alexi’s soothing tones propel the movie forward in a soothing positive way. Favorites include All My Days and The Ragged Sea.

9)  American Graffiti- Various Artists- The George Lucas film that asks “Where were you in 1962?”features a bevy of oldies classics. It tries to transport you back to the sock –hop diner days, and does a fantastic job at it. Favorites include Bill Haley and The Comets Were Gonna Rock Around The Clock, Danny and the Juniors’ At The Hop, and the Chuck Berry hit Johnny B. Goode.

10) I Love You Man- Various Artists- One of the many reasons I love this soundtrack is because of its fabulous use of Rush songs. Aside from that it takes some awesome indie artist tunes and places them in a really popular movie. Favorites include Mr. Pitiful by Matt Costa, Soul of a Man by Beck, and Oxford Comma by Vampire Weekend.

Notable Mentions include the soundtracks from a) Elizabethtown- feature such hits as My Fathers Gun by Elton John and Eastmountainsouth’s Hard Times b) Wayne’s World- with awesome hits like Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody and Tia Carrere’s version of Ballroom Blitz c) About a Boy- a vehicle of the amazing band Badly Drawn boy with hits like A Minor Incident and Dead Duck, and lastly d) 10 Things I Hate About You- which features a personal favorite FNT by Semisonic and amazing tunes from Letters to Cleo.

What are your favorite Soundtracks?    

No comments:

Post a Comment