Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I can hear the bells.....

In honor of my besty Betsy’s recent engagement to her long time BF Ben, I’d like to post about my 5 favorite songs with the word wedding or marriage. CONGRATS GUYS!!!


1)    Billy Idol’s White Wedding- I’m not really sure how this song is a wedding song. It is dark, grungy and gothic, but the words tell me something different. Billy sings “It’s a nice day for a white wedding,” and this could be plausible. It has been said that this song was written about Billy’s unease and distress at his sister being pregnant and getting married to a man he didn’t like. Billy has refuted these claims, but the lyrics say something different. “Hey little sister what have you done,” is the first line of this song. This suggests to me that the song is in fact written about Billy’s sister and is so punk angry (like Billy himself) because of his feelings towards his sisters nuptials.

2)    The Fifth Dimension- Wedding Bell Blues (Marry Me Bill)- This song originally written and recorded by Laura Nyro was remade by the Fifth Demension a few years later, and it became one of their top hits. It is about a woman who wants her lover Bill to commit to her and marry her. Every time I hear this song I always scream “Biiiiiilllllll”, to myself. I heard her yearning and desire to be married; I mean, how many women feel like that? I’m assuming this song was so successful not just because of the awesome melody, but also because many people could relate to it. Interesting fact. At the time The Fifth Dimension recorded this song one of their members was engaged to another member named Bill, and they hadn’t set the date for their wedding.

3)   The Muppets- Somebody’s Getting Married- I love the Muppets, and specifically the movie Muppets Take Manhattan. This song takes place right before Miss Piggy and Kermit are supposed to be married at the end of their show (and features a cameo by sesame street members). It turns out Miss Piggy hires a real minister and marries the two of them, which is good since they are soul mates.  I love this song because not only does it feel like the Muppets to me, but it also feels very Broadway.

4)   Frank Sinatra- Love and Marriage- No, my love for this song is not only due to the fact that it was the theme song to Married with Children. Rather, it is because I love Frank Sinatra, and love and marriage should obviously go together. Although love and marriage probably shouldn’t go together like a horse and carriage where one is carrying all the weight in the relationship.

5)   The Dixie Chicks- White Trash Wedding- I’m not usually a country music fan, but this song is much more bluegrass than country which makes it all the more bearable. It doesn’t have a lot of substance lyrically: “I shouldn’t be wearing white and you can’t afford no ring” makes up most of the substance, but the music is so great, you just want to go to a jamboree. 

Two close calls are the songs Marry the Man Today from the Broadway musical Guys and Dolls, and I Can Hear the Bells from the Broadway musical Hairspray. So congrats again Betsy and Ben! So happy for you both! 


Post your favorite wedding songs below!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks man!

    I love Marry the Man Today and, of course, Somebody's Getting Married! I was super psyched that it made your list because I also think they did a typically brilliant job of creating a fun song that is so completely Broadway-esque. And I love that Miss Piggy tricks Kermit into marrying her.

    Miss you a ton and I'll try to call soon!

    ReplyDelete