Friday, July 9, 2010

Baby it’s hot outside…..

As I got into my car this week and was unable to shift gears because my car was so hot it almost burned my hands, I got to thinking about "hot songs". There is not an enormous list that I could think of. I don’t mean all weather songs, or even songs with the word heat (like a personal favorite- Glenn Fray- The Heat is On) but rather songs that use the actual word hot. So in honor of the record breaking heat Id like to talk about my 5 favorite hot songs. 

1) Hot Blooded- Foreigner- While this 80’s rock-bad tune is not as exciting or as melodically interesting as Cold as Ice, it is still amazing. Some people argue that this is their signature song, while others say the power ballad I Want To Know What Love Is takes that title. Whatever it is Hot Blooded remains a classic, risqué song about a guy with a fever for lovin.

2) Hot N Cold- Katy Perry- Yes, I did listen to this song any time I worked out on the elliptical. Yes I loved it WAY more than I Kissed a Girl. And yes, after this, Katy really hasn’t done me wrong (with the exception of her random video for California Gurls-see post). Hot N Cold is such a fun awesome song, that one would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t like it (the previous statement doesn’t include anymore born before 1970).

3) Hot For Teacher- Van Halen- He had it bad, had it bad, had it bad, he was hot for teacher. While this song was super controversial at the time, because of its sexually explicit nature, it was and is still an amazing rock song. The guitar riffs in the song are sick, and incredibly hard to play on guitar hero world tour (not like I'm actually good at guitar hero in general, but this is an extremely difficult one). The video is hilarious and bizarre, and David Lee Roth always does right by me.

4) Too Darn Hot- Cole Porter- from Kiss Me Kate- The older musicals were my mothers favorite musicals. They were the ones where "you could leave the theater singing the tunes," she said. Kiss Me Kate fell into this category. A musical about a show within a show, about an estranged couple who find love again through that show and with a few mobsters in the bunch, this musical was destined for greatness. While I love the song Brush Up Your Shakespeare because of its lyrical master class, my favorite song of this show is Too Darn Hot. It is sung at the beginning of the second act while the stage hands (and dancers) are extremely hot backstage. A large bluesy dance number ensues and it is pure Broadway magic.

5) Hot N Herre- Nelly- I know I mentioned this song in my summer songs post but how could this Nelly hit not make the list? While I loved Country Grammar and Ride Wit Me, Hot N Herre still remains my favorite Nelly song. This is merely because Nelly is so honest and clear about his intentions. There is no game playing, or beating around the bush in this song. It just Nelly's way of saying "I want to see you naked." I mean he says point blank its getting hot in herre, take off all your clothes and there are blatant sexual noises present in the song. Yes it’s strange and sexy, but straight to the point.

What are your favorite hot songs?

No comments:

Post a Comment