Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Who I’m Loving Right Now: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals


Do any of you remember my Lilly Allen phase (late 2009), my Florence and the Machine phase (early-middle 2010), or my Adele phase (still kind of happening, but mostly late 2010-early 2011)? Well friends and readers, I have now entered the Grace Potter and the Nocturnals phase of my life. I’m actually shocked to find that this band, with such a freakishly amazing singer is not so popular. In theory, these artists are all not super popular. I mean Adele’s hit Rolling in the Deep is JUST becoming popular on mainstream radio which in a way is a travesty, but at least she is getting some recognition for being the amazing artist that she is (albeit late). Yet Grace Potter, an incredible singer, with a bluesy rock tone to her voice reminiscent of singers like Peggy Lee, Melissa Etheridge, and Fiona Apple has had little/no mainstream success in her bands 6 year run.  On fast songs like Paris (ooh lala) and I Want Something That I Want the blues rock of Grace’s tones really shine through. On slower songs like Tiny Light, Apologies, Treat Me Right and Ah Mary you can hear the soulful and intense quality of her voice that draws you in and demands your complete attention. If you haven’t had a chance to hear any of the band’s songs you should definitely listen today and I guarantee you won’t regret it. Let me know your thoughts on my latest obsession below.

No comments:

Post a Comment