Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Top Twelve Love Songs

Valentines Day has passed but I’d like to post about my favorite love songs. Move over In Your Eyes (by Peter Gabriel) these are the songs I’d want blasting out speakers in front of my window!

  1. The Luckiest-: Ben Folds: Yes I am biased because I used this song when I walked down the aisle at my wedding, but this is one of the most beautiful (and beautifully arranged) modern love songs there is. This song tells the story of a man who feels so lucky to be with the person that he is. Most Romantic Lyric: “Where was I before I saw your lovely face?/ Now I see it Everyday/ Now I know, that I am, I am the luckiest.”
  1. Unforgettable- Nat King Cole: Oh Nat, your sweet honey voice croons every lyric of this song as if you were singing just to me. Doesn’t every girl wish they were unforgettable? Most Romantic Lyric: Like a song of love that clings to me/How the thought of you does things to me/ Never before has someone been more/Unforgettable.
  1. Georgia on my Mind- Ray Charles: Yes this song is semi ambiguous, is he singing about a woman Georgia or the state? Either way a greater Ray Charles love tribute does not exist.  Most Romantic Lyric: “Other arms reach out to me/ Other eyes smile tenderly/Still in peaceful dreams I see/ The road leads back to you”
  1. Maybe I’m Amazed- Paul Mccartney: This song, dedicated to and about Paul’s wife Linda is really remarkable. He wrote this song during the break up with the Beatles and Linda is actually one of the reasons he got through it all right. This song really expresses his love and gratitude for her during that rough time. Best Lyric: Maybe I'm amazed at the way you help me sing my song/ You right me when I'm wrong/ Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you.”
  1. Something- The Beatles: This is one of the more simple love songs the Beatles had to offer (and there are so many to choose from). Written to perfection by George Harrison (my favorite Beatles) this song reflects the attraction and love many feel towards the person they love. Most Romantic Lyric: Somewhere in her smile she knows/ That I don't need no other lover.
  1. Your Song- Elton John: I find it endearing that the person in this song is stumbling over expressing his feelings. It feels more real to me than many of the other songs because how hard is it to express the way you feel to someone your in love with. Most Romantic Lyric: It's a little bit funny this feeling inside/ I'm not one of those who can easily hide/ I don't have much money but boy if I did/ I'd buy a big house where we both could live
  1. Faithfully- Journey: If you want something sung with heartfelt passion call on Steve Perry. If you also want to know what its like to be “a music man” on the road but missing the lady he loves, listen to this tune.  Most Romantic Lyrics: Right down the line it's been you and me /And loving a music man ain't always what it's supposed to be /Girl you stand by me/I'm forever yours faithfully.
  1. You’re the First, My Last, My Everything- Barry White: Does anyone have a sexier voice than Barry White? Probably not.  This song is the essential disco love song on my list because in an era where there was so much love on the dance floor how could I not include one of the better love songs: Most Romantic Lyric: And with you I've found so many things/A love so new only you could bring/ Can't you see it's you/ You make me feel this way
  1. If I Aint Got you- Alicia Keys: I consider this to be one of the best love songs of my generation. Not only is the piano interlude a perfect throwback to early love songs, but it is also just a sweet, soft, love song. Most Romantic Lyrics: Some people want it all/ But I don't want nothing at all/ If it ain't you baby
  1. Back at your door- Maroon 5: Ok yes, this is my favorite Maroon 5 song, and it is about someone who can’t allow the person they love to leave, which again isn’t the most traditional love song out there. But really, wouldn’t anything Adam Levine sings to you sound like complete romance? Most Romantic Lyric: If I took you for granted/ I apologize for acting tough/ You’re my reason for living/ And there’s no way I’m giving up, oh.
  1. Nothing Like You and I- The Perishers:  Thank you ABC Family’s Greek for introducing me to this wonderful love song. The Perishers sing this song with alarmingly slow precision making each pause feel like a lifetime in their love story. Most romantic lyrics: As our hearts started beating faster/ I recalled your laughter from long ago/There’s nothing like you and I.
  1. Wonderwall- Oasis: While I know this isn’t a traditional love song, it was a song written to a woman, and really describes the feelings of an insecure man waiting to be loved/taken care of. Most Romantic Lyric: I don’t believe that anybody feels the way I do/ About you now
What are your favorite Love Songs?

1 comment:

  1. I got to agree on the Ben Folds choice. Its always good to hear his music. I was lucky enough to see him live at the wxpn concert over the summer. I recently started writing some songs, myself, but I didn't have the skills to master them on my own.  I ended up using this online mixing studio. I'm no Ben Folds and definitely no String Cheese Incident, but I got my songs to where I wanted them; on a professional level.

    ReplyDelete