Friday, February 18, 2011

Best Sesame Street Song Parodies

After Cee Lo’s amazing homage to Elton John’s appearance on the Muppets I couldn’t help but think about my all time favorite muppets- those on Sesame Street. In the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s Sesame was way ahead of its time. Mostly geared towards parents the silly song parodies and segments like Monsterpiece theater were a real treat for parents to watch. Nowadays more segments are geared towards the younger generation, but there are a few easter eggs for parents to laugh about. So in the 40 year run of Sesame Street here are my favorite parodies:

1) I cant get no cooperation by the Cobble Stones- This is an obvious parody of I Cant Get No Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones. They try to get the visual affectations of Mick Jagger and the bunch and do a pretty darn good job.

2)ZZ blues by Over the Top- This song is a parody of many ZZ Top songs. I tried to find the one that sounds the most like it and I think it is Sharp Dressed Man. I like it because they look like ZZ with their long beards and sunglasses and consequently fall asleep from all the Z’s in their area.

3) Rebel L- This muppet looks a lot like Billy Idol don’t you think? This is an obvious parody of Billy’s hit Rebel Yell which was an 80’s anthem.
4) U really got a hold on me- I love it when celebrities actually perform their parodied songs on Sesame. Here Smokey Robinson sings his hit You Really Got a Hold on Me but is instead performing it while the letter U is physically not letting go of him. Hilarity ensues.
5)Letter B by the Beetles- Yes, this is probably the most classic parody that Sesame Street has ever done. But these small insects (The Beetles) really know how to rock. Parodying the famous hit Let it Be they sing about when comes after A and before C.

6)Eight balls of fur-by Chrissy and the Alphabeats. Yes this song is pure silly, but it is also a parody of Jerry Lee Lewis’Great Balls of Fire which in turn makes it awesome.
7) Telly’s Aquarium- This is actually one of the more recent additions to the parody repertoire. It is an obvious parody of the Fifth Dimension’s Age of Aquarius. I find it amusing because it is taking one of the trippiest songs and applying to one of the most mundane objects the aquarium which houses the fish.
8) Cereal Girl- Find me a person who doesn’t love this number and I will think you are lying. When the girl monster sings “I’ll taste it, Ill give it a whirl, and Now I am a Cereal Girl,” in an obvious homage to Madonna’s Material Girl you cant help but squeal with delight.
9) Born to Add – This parody of Bruce Springstein’s Born to Run is all the more sweet because of Jimmy Fallon’s use of this song during the Emmy’s this year. It’s hard for me to choose which version I like more.
10) My Triangle-Another example of when a celebrity joins in to parody their song. James Blunt makes a guest appearance on sesame street to sing the parody of his song Your Beautiful. What makes this so hilarious is hearing James sing on and on about how much he misses his 3 sided triangle.
What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment