Monday, January 31, 2011

Happy Birthday JT!

Yes folks, today one of my all time favorite recording (and other) artists Justin Timberlake turns 30. If only I could be invited to his parties …sigh… Anyways, in order to commemorate this momentous occasion I’d like to discuss my favorite parts of his career (which in my opinion was all highs).

1. D*** in a box: Oh Justin, not only did you come on SNL and become one of the best hosts ever, but you also gave us this wonderful musical gem about the perfect gift for your lady on Christmas.
2. Future Sex/Love Sounds: There is nothing bad that I can say about this album. It is just perfection. You can see more about my love for it on my best albums of the decade post.
3. Tearin up my heart: Yes I’ll admit I was one of those teenybopper girls who needed to hear every boy band song known to man. NSYNC was definitely one of my favorites, and this, their first single, was the key to my happiness for about ten minutes. Immediately I fell for Justin the way only a teen girl fan can; by plastering pictures of him in my bedroom.
4. Bye Bye Bye/ Its Gonne be Me music videos: Bye Bye Bye the first single off of the excellent album No Strings Attached and the video for this song did not disappoint. Working off of their album art the NSYNC boys were marionette dolls under the control of a woman. Taking up where the action left off Its Gonna Be Me features the boys as actions figures of themselves in a toy store, being purchased by the same woman from the Bye Bye Bye video! See both videos below and gush with teeny bopper enthusiasm.



5. Where is the Love?: The Black Eyed Peas/Justin collaboration had many wondering if Fergie was actually singing or if it was Justin. Either way this song is great, but made 100x better with JT’s solo.
6. Carry Out: A more recent addition to JT’s repertoire; Carry out is a silly ode to sex and take out. This duet with Timbo is just as intriguing and awesome as their first SexyBack.
7. The Singles Ladies Sketch on SNL (and various other SNL performances): Justin easily shows his comedic chops every time he is on SNL. Favorite sketches of his include the single ladies dance sketch (the week it aired he wasn’t even a host!) and the Barry Gibb talk show: which combines singing and making fun of the bee gees all in one hilarious package.
8. Alpha Dog: If you haven’t seen this movie, you definitely should. Justin plays the most likeable and sympathetic member of a drug gang, and has to deal ultimately with the rash actions of the other members, and gang leader. It is a dark crime drama, which is definitely intense, but it is also probably Justin’s best acting performance to date.
9. 4 minutes: Another awesome collaborative effort from JT, Timbo, and this time Madonna. In a time when JT was not making music very often this song was definitely a treat.
10. JT as Sean Parker: I’m not exactly sure who had the bright idea to cast JT in The Social Network as entrepreneur and Napster founder Sean Parker, but as of right now I worship the ground they walk on. I was particularly giddy every time he came on screen and found his performance to be excellent.

1 comment:

  1. Although I usually look back on the days when it was NSYNC versus the Backstreet Boys and laugh about it with my friends. The way we acted thinking they were the greatest thing ever. Today I do give them props for a few of their songs and when ever I hear one on the radio it feel like dancing in the drivers seat, but I digress. They are a form of nostalgia just like when you hear an early Brittany Spears song. I recently started writing some songs, but I didn't have the skills to master them on my own.  I got some help from this online mixing studio. Although they may never be the greatest. I can still have people take them seriously.

    ReplyDelete