Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Britney: High and Lows:

In honor of Britney Spears’ slammin new single Hold it Against Me I’d like to take a look at some of her highs and lows.

Highs
  1. Baby One More Time: Arguably one of the best music videos Britney has ever had, and probably one of the best entrances to the music scenes post the Mickey Mouse Club. Britney started a girl-pop revolution that defined my teen years and for that I am eternally grateful.
  2. Stronger: My favorite song off of the “Oops I did it Again” album and one of her most catchy tunes, this song inspires girly strength every time I hear it. It also makes me want to jump up and down, or clap every time I hear it (which I do).
  3. Me Against the Music: Madonna + Britney= clutch. This duet is one of my favorites. Born out of their performance at the VMA’s, Madonna and Britney collaborated to make a great synth pop anthem that showcases the talent of both performers. It is also probably one of the best dance videos that Britney has ever had.
  4. Toxic: My favorite Britney song period features one of the catchiest hooks and some of the least understandable lyrics. This song defined my senior year of high school and is probably one of Britney’s most critically acclaimed songs. Did you know it was first offered to Kylie Minogue but she turned it down? I bet she regrets that decision now.
  5. The Circus Album: From the first single Womanizer to the last single Radar this album rocked my socks. I couldn’t have been happier with Britney’s return and am thankful for her chance to redeem herself following the Blackout album (see below). If only I could have seen her perform, I am sure she would have no doubt entertained.
Lows
  1. Don’t Let me be the last to know/ I’m Not A Girl Not yet a Woman: What I’ve learned from these two incredibly boring songs is that Britney should never do slow songs. She shines brightest on fast up-tempo numbers and shouldn’t even bother with these. Give the public what they want!
  2. Her Marriage to K-Fed/ Breaking up with Justin: Seriously Britney? You had a chance to be with JT! Yet you ended up marrying gross trashy K-Fed instead and began the downward spiral into crazy town. Good choice.
  3. Blackout Album: Where the circus album shined this one flopped. The singles off the album, Gimme More, Piece of Me, & Break the Ice all sound the same, and have the same beat. They are all a boring lame effort on Brittney’s part. Thank god she came back strong with the circus album because she would not want to be remembered for this lack of effort.
  4. VMA performance 2007- Performing songs from Blackout probably wasn’t the best idea. Not only was it beyond obvious that Britney was lip synching she had no energy at all and didn’t even look like she was having fun. It was if they had a stand in robot for the otherwise fun and energetic Britney. For shame. See the video below.
  1. Crossroads: If any of you have been lucky enough to not see this movie, then keep it that way. I was young and foolish once, and saw every movie that came out, but alas, I regret this one almost as much as Glitter. Moral of the story, singers should stick to singing, and not acting. Note: This does not apply to Justin Timberlake.
What do you think were Britney's highs and lows?

4 comments:

  1. Highs: "I'm a Slave 4 U" video and VMA performance. No one can dance with a snake like Britney Can!
    "Oops! I did it again...". Red catsuit, enough said.
    Cameo on glee :)

    For some reason, I do happen to like (thought not love) "Don't Let Me Be the Last to Know". You make an excellent point that she's much better with faster/dance pop songs though!

    "[You Drive Me] Crazy" and "3" are also awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im actually pretty ambivalent towards Im a Slave 4 U, and hated it when it came out. Its more just blah to me now. Not a low or a high you know? and i love you drive me crazy and oops i did it again. Alas not everything she does can be on my list....i mean she isnt justin timberlake (who obvs, would only have highs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tods agree with you about the slow songs--Sometimes? Dear Diary? Boooo. And I'll admit, I doubted her during her lowest point (shaved head, bashing the paparazzi with an umbrella, not using a car seat). But thank you for giving credit where credit is due! There's no one else like Britney, and even though so many people tried to copy her in the 90s (Christina, Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore), nobody can compare! Loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Low: pretending to be in Titanic in Oops I Did it Again... although I do know all the words :-D

    (ps. my first comment on yael's blog!)

    ReplyDelete