Friday, April 8, 2011

Super Fly!

So as some of you may know I am going on vacation this week, and I thought about writing numerous posts regarding vacations/islands etc. But I found it to be incredibly hard to think of really great songs that revolve around islands and vacations. There are definitely a few, for example- Weezer’s Island in the Sun and Madonna’s Holiday (aka the Sandals theme song). But on the whole there weren’t a lot to choose from, so I decided to go a bit less traditional and discuss flight songs. I’m a terrible flyer and actually rely on music to get me through. Well music and medication. Nevertheless, here is a list of songs about flying:
1)  Frank Sinatra: Come Fly With Me:  What a classic. You all know my love for Frannnnkkiiiiiiieeee, and as such I had to include him on my list. With his silky vocals who wouldn’t want to fly away with him?
2)  Foo Fighters: Learn To Fly:  This was actually the first song I had ever heard by the Foo Fighters and this was the song that started my love affair with Dave Grohl. I think the video for this song is hilarious (Jack Black guests), but I also love the song in general and called it my favorite song for about 3 years.
3)  Steve Miller Band: Jet Airliner: I LOVE the Steve Miller Band and this song is no exception. You may ask why I chose this song over the popular Fly Like an Eagle. The truth is while this song isn’t as flashy (or overused by the USPS) it is ultimately really fun.
4)  Lenny Kravitz: Fly Away: In a way, Lenny Kravitz is kind of a representation of what modern rock n’ roll should be. His vibe/sound is really old school funk rock, but at the same time it feels so fresh and modern that it’s really intriguing to listen to.
5)  John Denver/Peter Paul and Mary/ Chantal Kreviazuk Leaving on a Jet Plane: All versions of this song are amazing regardless of who sings them. The original John Denver version is classy tribute to those he had to leave when he went on the road and was actually originally titled “Oh Babe I hate to go.” Peter Paul and Mary are always amazing to listen to because of their beautiful harmonies. They definitely brought this song to another level. Chantal’s version brought this song to a new generation of listeners. It is haunting and beautiful.

So farewell all! I will be posting once I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment