Monday, June 14, 2010

She's Not Herself Tonight

Does anyone remember the days when Christina Aguilera was a girl, just as dirrty as Britney spears, but with a much more powerful voice. Back then, both women were entertainers; their videos and lyrics were raunchy at times, poignant and emotional at other times. Yet, without a doubt, Xtina had such an immeasurable talent, that in a war between the two of them (were they ever featured on celebrity death match?) Xtina would win hands down.

That being said, with a four year hiatus after her back to basics album/tour, I was expecting a lot from the new album. Luckily for me, the album was released last week and was also available for listening on Aol’s listening party (http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/1). Last week happened to be an exceptional week for releases, bringing me many joyful hours at my desk listening to Rooney, against me, Tokyo police club, Travie McCoy, and Hanson. That being said, I was particularly interested to hear what Xtina’s album was all about.

I had heard “not myself tonight” on the radio, and woohoo her crude song which she performed within her bionic medley, at the MTV movie awards, but  was not overly thrilled with both of them. So when I began listening to her new album I was surprised at her lack of enthusiasm, and her lack of vocal ability in these songs.

In an age where the voice box is used so frequently, and anyone with a hooked up mic can sound like T-pain, it shouldn’t really be surprising to me when someone with talent uses a voice altering tool. As I said above, Xtina has an incredible voice, why try to alter/lessen that voice on this album? In a world of lady gaga, wouldn’t she try to impress upon the adoring public that yes she still can belt it out? There were only a few places in this album’s 18 tracks that I thought Xtina really showed any vocal talent at all.

Firstly, on the song You Lost Me; yes, it is a slow song, but it shows her beautiful range. The song starts slow, and Xtina uses her upper register, only as the song progresses does her deep soulful tone come through. It really shows us, the listener why we bothered to listen to your hits in the first place.

Don’t get me wrong, as a 7th grader “genie in a bottle” was my favorite song, but unfortunately, on this album Xtina’s faster songs pale in comparison to her slow songs. It almost seems in songs like Desnudate Xtina is trying to be something or someone she isn’t. In fact I think this song in particular would fit right along in the Pussy Cat Doll repertoire. I'm not sure if it is because she feels the need to compete with the vapid, and obscenely sexual overtones of most of today’s artists, but in terms of making people want to buy her album she needs to get back to her basics.

So all in all I would say that this album is only ok. She excels in slow songs like You Lost me and All I need and if I had to pick a fast paced song that I liked best on this album, it would be Prima Donna.

Check the album out for yourself and let me know your thoughts/If you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment